[aur-requests] [PRQ#10498] Deletion Request for signal-desktop

mrxx mrxx at cyberhome.at
Tue Feb 6 19:42:07 UTC 2018

 > That is what orphan requests are for. Not cluttering the AUR
I agree I should have filed an orphan request in the first place.

 > Ah, so you would say there is no reason to ever use the signal package?
No, that's not my intention. I just think maintainers should also test
their releases in environments different from their own before uploading
them.

One last thing about "I do not trust your capacity as a maintainer"
because of using pacman in post_install. The idea was to circumvent a
limitation in the PKGBUILD: there is no proper way how to handle
potentially conflicting packages. The only possibility is to put them
into the 'conflicts' array.

Unfortunately, this gives the user only one option if there are still
packages which depend on them: remove them altogether or abort
installing. But what if the undesired library (libappindicator-gtk2) is
only a problem in special cases (e.g. when starting in tray-mode in KDE)?

I tried to solve this by checking if the library was still required by
any other package, only removing it if it was obsolete (assuming it was
installed by an earlier version of signal-desktop or having been left
from a make-only dependency), but keeping it if there were dependencies.
This allowed signal-desktop to co-exist with them. (A check in the start
script of signal-desktop made sure it was always started the right way.)

I soon removed this after a user complained, just printing instructions
how to remove the potentially conflicting library. I also wrote an
extensive post explaining the motivation to do so as I did above. I
never had the intention to to "ugly" things behind the user's backs.