[aur-requests] [PRQ#10727] Merge Request for gnome-shell-theme-copernico-git

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Feb 25 20:50:11 UTC 2018

On 02/25/2018 01:12 PM, Gordian Edenhofer via aur-requests wrote:
> On Sun, 2018-02-25 at 17:44 +0000, notify at aur.archlinux.org wrote:
>> mgyugcha [1] filed a request to merge gnome-shell-theme-copernico-git
>> [2] into gnome-shell-copernico-theme-git [3]:
>>
>> Hello, I am Michael Yugcha, the copernico theme owner. I would like
>> merge my AUR package becouse I updated the theme. Thanks.
>>
>> [1] https://aur.archlinux.org/account/mgyugcha/
>> [2] https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/gnome-shell-theme-copernico-git
>> /
>> [3] https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/gnome-shell-copernico-theme-git
>> /
>
> Hi,
>
> It is great that you want to look after your own package. However the
> way you chose to do so is not how to get maintainership of one.
>
> Basically you created a duplicate package with an obfuscated name
> (going against the current convention of naming gnome-shell themes) and
> asked a Trusted User to merge an existing one into yours. While at the
> same time not even leaving a comment on the existing package asking for
> mainainership or at the very least to discuss your plans.
>
> I am more than happy to disown the package for you to pickup however
> please consider to act in a more circumspect manner in regards to
> stripping other users of packages.

BTW I noticed that both of you got the pkgver wrong in different ways.
The original package uses a commit count without prefixing that using
"r", so now there is no sane upgrade path to the newly tagged v3.26
(based on a completely divergent history of course) as per
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VCS_package_guidelines#Git

The duplicate package includes the "v" and a Useless Use of Echo...

You'll have no choice now but to include an epoch in order to preserve a
monotonically increasing pkgver.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User