[aur-requests] [PRQ#10727] Merge Request for gnome-shell-theme-copernico-git

Gordian Edenhofer gordian.edenhofer at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 21:42:31 UTC 2018

On Sun, 2018-02-25 at 15:50 -0500, Eli Schwartz via aur-requests wrote:
> On 02/25/2018 01:12 PM, Gordian Edenhofer via aur-requests wrote:
> > On Sun, 2018-02-25 at 17:44 +0000, notify at aur.archlinux.org wrote:
> > > mgyugcha [1] filed a request to merge gnome-shell-theme-
> > > copernico-git
> > > [2] into gnome-shell-copernico-theme-git [3]:
> > >
> > > Hello, I am Michael Yugcha, the copernico theme owner. I would
> > > like
> > > merge my AUR package becouse I updated the theme. Thanks.
> > >
> > > [1] https://aur.archlinux.org/account/mgyugcha/
> > > [2] https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/gnome-shell-theme-copernico
> > > -git
> > > /
> > > [3] https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/gnome-shell-copernico-theme
> > > -git
> > > /
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > It is great that you want to look after your own package. However
> > the
> > way you chose to do so is not how to get maintainership of one.
> >
> > Basically you created a duplicate package with an obfuscated name
> > (going against the current convention of naming gnome-shell themes)
> > and
> > asked a Trusted User to merge an existing one into yours. While at
> > the
> > same time not even leaving a comment on the existing package asking
> > for
> > mainainership or at the very least to discuss your plans.
> >
> > I am more than happy to disown the package for you to pickup
> > however
> > please consider to act in a more circumspect manner in regards to
> > stripping other users of packages.
>
> BTW I noticed that both of you got the pkgver wrong in different
> ways.
> The original package uses a commit count without prefixing that using
> "r", so now there is no sane upgrade path to the newly tagged v3.26
> (based on a completely divergent history of course) as per
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VCS_package_guidelines#Git
>
> The duplicate package includes the "v" and a Useless Use of Echo...
>
> You'll have no choice now but to include an epoch in order to
> preserve a
> monotonically increasing pkgver.

The missing 'r' is on me. I introduced this mishap when I first wrote
the package and was to reluctant to change it ever since due to some
nonsensical aesthetic reasons.

Concerning the package itself. The author of the theme and I came to an
agreement off-list. I disowned the package subsequently and he will
from now on maintain it (using a proper version schema :D).