[aur-requests] [PRQ#10977] Deletion Request for arc-gtk-theme-git

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Mar 25 01:48:09 UTC 2018

On 03/24/2018 09:20 PM, Stelios Tsampas via aur-requests wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 4:10 AM, notify--- via aur-requests
> <aur-requests at archlinux.org <mailto:aur-requests at archlinux.org>> wrote:
>
>     Eschwartz [1] filed a deletion request for arc-gtk-theme-git [2]:
>
>     duplicate of gtk-theme-arc-git
>
>     [1] https://aur.archlinux.org/account/Eschwartz/
>     <https://aur.archlinux.org/account/Eschwartz/>
>     [2] https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/arc-gtk-theme-git/
>     <https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/arc-gtk-theme-git/>
>

> gtk-theme-arc-git should be deleted, arc-gtk-theme-git follows the
> naming of the package in community

1) I dislike the naming schema NicoHood used in [community] and IMHO he
should change it. It strikes me as terribly unintuitive.

2) The naming schema of the package in community is irrelevant, as this
is not the package in community and you are not allowed to submit
duplicate packages to the AUR and then attempt to browbeat the
maintainer of the original package into giving up his package.

If you would like to politely *request* that he rename his package, and
agree to respect his choice, then I will respect his decision (which
does imply that it is his decision).

It may be my personal opinion that things should be gtk-theme-foo and
that foo-gtk-theme is "wrong", but I'm not going to enforce my opinion
on others as it is sort of a bikeshed.

I will pretty aggressively enforce my disapproval of the cavalier
attitude taken in uploading and re-uploading arc-gtk-theme-git.

There were duplicate packages. The older package takes precedence. The
newer package is very firmly a duplicate, and should not continue to be
re-uploaded in contravention of its initial deletion. That just smacks
of disrespecting the administrative decisions that have *already been
declared*.

I'm rather pissed off, and tremendously so, that someone pressured him
into orphaning his package. I'm also deeply confused, what on earth is
even going on here?

The new maintainer then proceeded to abuse his new maintenance of
gtk-theme-arc-git by breaking the pkgver and using some terrible
abomination, then hiding this in amongst a bunch of trivial style changes.

This does not impress me with his *capabilities* as an AUR maintainer,
so why should I trust his opinions on the naming any more?

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User