[aur-requests] [PRQ#10977] Deletion Request for arc-gtk-theme-git

Stelios Tsampas loathingkernel at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 09:48:21 UTC 2018

On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 4:48 AM, Eli Schwartz via aur-requests <
aur-requests at archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 03/24/2018 09:20 PM, Stelios Tsampas via aur-requests wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 4:10 AM, notify--- via aur-requests
> > <aur-requests at archlinux.org <mailto:aur-requests at archlinux.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     Eschwartz [1] filed a deletion request for arc-gtk-theme-git [2]:
> >
> >     duplicate of gtk-theme-arc-git
> >
> >     [1] https://aur.archlinux.org/account/Eschwartz/
> >     <https://aur.archlinux.org/account/Eschwartz/>
> >     [2] https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/arc-gtk-theme-git/
> >     <https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/arc-gtk-theme-git/>
> >

> > gtk-theme-arc-git should be deleted, arc-gtk-theme-git follows the
> > naming of the package in community
>
> 1) I dislike the naming schema NicoHood used in [community] and IMHO he
> should change it. It strikes me as terribly unintuitive.
>
> 2) The naming schema of the package in community is irrelevant, as this
> is not the package in community and you are not allowed to submit
> duplicate packages to the AUR and then attempt to browbeat the
> maintainer of the original package into giving up his package.
>
> If you would like to politely *request* that he rename his package, and
> agree to respect his choice, then I will respect his decision (which
> does imply that it is his decision).

> It may be my personal opinion that things should be gtk-theme-foo and
> that foo-gtk-theme is "wrong", but I'm not going to enforce my opinion
> on others as it is sort of a bikeshed.
>
> I will pretty aggressively enforce my disapproval of the cavalier
> attitude taken in uploading and re-uploading arc-gtk-theme-git.
>
> There were duplicate packages. The older package takes precedence. The
> newer package is very firmly a duplicate, and should not continue to be
> re-uploaded in contravention of its initial deletion. That just smacks
> of disrespecting the administrative decisions that have *already been
> declared*.

> I'm rather pissed off, and tremendously so, that someone pressured him
> into orphaning his package. I'm also deeply confused, what on earth is
> even going on here?
>
> The new maintainer then proceeded to abuse his new maintenance of
> gtk-theme-arc-git by breaking the pkgver and using some terrible
> abomination, then hiding this in amongst a bunch of trivial style changes.
>
> This does not impress me with his *capabilities* as an AUR maintainer,
> so why should I trust his opinions on the naming any more?
>
> --
> Eli Schwartz
> Bug Wrangler and Trusted User

By mistake I sent the email from a different address than one I use in AUR,
I am sorry for the confusion that it may have cause

I am involved with neither of those packages, I am just pointing out that
there
is a naming schema, good or bad, in community and I made my suggestion on
that.

If there is a history between those packages, I wasn't aware of it, and if
your
decision is based on that, I respect it and don't have a say in the matter.