[aur-requests] [PRQ#11354] Deletion Request for firefox-always-nightly

Morgan Adamiec morganamilo at gmail.com
Thu May 10 21:49:48 UTC 2018

On 10 May 2018 at 22:36, Félix Saparelli <felix at passcod.name> wrote:
> How do I tell this request to, politely, go away?
>
> always-nightly has a number of differences to -nightly, not just the
> "always" part of it. But if this is the main point of difference, then I
> contest the claim that -nightly has "pretty good tracking". As a blatant
> example, right now it is on 62.0a1.20180509, while always-nightly downloads
> 62.0a1.20180510.
>
> There is also the fact that firefox nightly updates twice a day, not once,
> so the -nightly package is never accurately tracking the latest.
>
> Some more occurences from the firefox-nightly comments:
>
> owstoni commented on 2017-08-02 22:15
>
> 57 is out, could you post the new source?
>
> K900 commented on 2017-08-02 14:40
>
> 57.0a1 is out now, needs a version bump.
>

> tux-86 commented on 2017-07-21 20:11
>
> Version string seems now 56.0a1.-1
>

> That's two fairly recent occasions where firefox-nightly was behind. The 57
> one shows no update in 8 hours at least. Firefox-always-nightly would have
> produced the right version within a few minutes of the update actually going
> out. That is why it exists.
>

> On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 9:15 AM <notify at aur.archlinux.org> wrote:
>>
>> Morganamilo [1] filed a deletion request for firefox-always-nightly
>> [2]:
>>
>> Duplicate of aur/firefox-nightly
>>
>> See https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-
>> general/2018-May/034080.html
>>
>> [1] https://aur.archlinux.org/account/Morganamilo/
>> [2] https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/firefox-always-nightly/

I would think the rules on this would say it's still a duplicate. If
there's problems they should be fixed, not have a new package pop up.
Your PKGBUILD does a lot of hacky stuff that I don't know how to feel
about it. using curl for global variables. Forcing an insanely high
pkgver so that it always wants to update.

It's not up to me though. I brought this up briefly in the linked
thread and Eli seemed to agree so I thought I would send this request
and see what happens.