[aur-requests] [PRQ#26956] Deletion Request for libsystemd-provides

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Thu Jul 15 03:35:54 UTC 2021

On 7/14/21 8:21 AM, dreieck wrote:
> This is especially for Artix Linux, where 'libsystemd' is no longer
> provided by any package, but 'systemd-libs' is provided by a
> compatibility-package 'artix-archlinux-support' in [galaxy].
>
> So in Artix Linux 'libsystemd-provides' translates the
> 'systemd-libs', provided by 'artix-archlinux-support', to 'libsystemd',
> needed by some AUR packages.

This is a bug in artix, the libsystemd package in Arch got renamed to
systemd-libs and continues to provide the old name for backwards
compatibility.

If Artix's support package does not continue to provide the old name for
backwards compatibility, then Artix needs to be fixed.

> The AUR is also used by other Arch-based distributions other than
> Arch (Artix even provides AUR-wrappers in it's own repos).
>
> So I ask that the package remains, for the Artix (and maybe Manjaro)
> folks.

a) Arch policy forbids providing pacman wrappers adding AUR support to
   the Arch repos, I don't see why we should be impressed if some
   derivative includes them.

b) Manjaro's systemd-libs package provides libsystemd, as it should;
   Manjaro does NOT need this dummy package.

c) Anyway as Jonas pointed out the AUR is not a suitable place to upload
   Artix-specific packages, much less create packages solely to work
   around Artix-specific bugs.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User