[pacman-dev] My makepkg changes/updates

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 10:22:21 EST 2006

> Nice work!
> Few questions:
> 1) Why you have changed /etc/makepkg.conf to /etc/makepkg3.conf ? I
> don't see the point of this. Even when there are two versions of
> makepkg in system - they should work with one makepkg.conf as there
> are no confliction options anyway.
That is because I have them installed side-by-side, and I just kept
everything in my diff. It won't be that way in any release version.
This new makepkg (makpkg3) does have a few different settings, and
this way also allows me to play with settings without changing my real
makepkg settings.

> 2) what's the difference between msg and msg2 (except colors, I mean
> whet is the use for both of them) ?
msg is the standard message that has always been used. Aaron, I
believe, added a msg2, so I thought I'd put it to good use. It is
further indented than a message; think of it more as a 'sub-message',
just expanding on a more important message above it. I applied it to
any of the messages that were formally indented using hardcoded
spaces.

> And suggestions:
> 1) it would be nice if makepkg -Sr (-sr) uninstall makedepends after
> build failure too
That is one of the next things I have to look at, and that will likely
involve a bit more changes than my other patches have been/will have
been.

> 2) something like --preclean option that would clean directory like
> --clean but _before_ build - useful for some software that won't build
> after failure when files not cleaned.
You may need to explain this one more to me. The pkg/ directory is
always deleted before a build; are you referring to the src/
directory? In any case, I'm not sure if this needs to be an option, as
most users would know what 'rm -rf src/' would do, but correct me if
I'm mistaken.