[pacman-dev] download code in pacman

VMiklos vmiklos at frugalware.org
Mon Jan 9 16:06:47 EST 2006

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 08:59:05PM +0100, Aurelien Foret <aurelien at archlinux.org> wrote:
> What's the idea behind this proposal?

to prevent code duplication - the duplication of download code in each
frontend. writing a simple C funtion that does the same as "pacman -S
foo" is currently means that every frontend is _forced_ to use its _own_
download code. for example if we add rsync support to pacman, and users
start to use that protocoll in pacman.conf, then every frontend have to
support that protocoll. if we would provide a default download code
(see my previous mail, for example by allowing to pass NULL as the
download callback function pointer), then the frontend are free to
choose: to use or not to use the download code provided by the library

udv / greetings,
VMiklos

--
Developer of Frugalware Linux, to make things frugal - http://frugalware.org