[pacman-dev] download code in pacman

Mark Rosenstand mark at archlinux.org
Mon Jan 9 19:13:37 EST 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 22:06 +0100, VMiklos wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 08:59:05PM +0100, Aurelien Foret <aurelien at archlinux.org> wrote:
> > What's the idea behind this proposal?
>
> to prevent code duplication - the duplication of download code in each
> frontend. writing a simple C funtion that does the same as "pacman -S
> foo" is currently means that every frontend is _forced_ to use its _own_
> download code. for example if we add rsync support to pacman, and users
> start to use that protocoll in pacman.conf, then every frontend have to
> support that protocoll.

Isn't pacman.conf pacman's configuration file, i.e. not related to
alpm? :-)

As a programmer who (unlike you) have contributed zarro to pacman, I
think transfer protocol code, argv parsing etc. in the library would not
only bloat alpm but also make the whole library split less meaningful.

--
Mark Rosenstand           ,;-,  ,oOQ
Arch Linux               /_,K`  (§§)