[pacman-dev] download code in pacman

VMiklos vmiklos at frugalware.org
Mon Jan 9 19:25:09 EST 2006

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 01:13:37AM +0100, Mark Rosenstand <mark at archlinux.org> wrote:
> As a programmer who (unlike you) have contributed zarro to pacman, I
> think transfer protocol code, argv parsing etc. in the library would not
> only bloat alpm but also make the whole library split less meaningful.

you could set the protocol via alpm_set_option(), don't worry :)

btw, here is an another example, maybe this one will be better
probably after the library will have a stable api, we (the Frugalware
devs) will:
- create a graphical fronent which uses libalpm
- replace our installer's ugly system() calls with proper libalpm calls

the proble: pacman, the gui and the installer will contain the download
code three times without any reason

my proposal is to provide a default download code in the library, so
that the frontends are free to choose if they want to use their own
download code or the library's one

advantages:
- prevent code duplications
- more freedom to the fronents: they can choose if they want to have
  their own download code or not (currently they're forced to have)

disadvantages:
- are there any?

hth,
VMiklos