[pacman-dev] add message() function call for use in *.install/.PKGINFO files

VMiklos vmiklos at frugalware.org
Sun May 28 14:34:31 EDT 2006

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 04:25:39PM +0300, ????? ??????? <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
> README can be good if it will be displayed automatically after package install.
> This is a job of any libalpm front-end anyway.
> It should be treated like .PKGINFO or .FILELIST files - I mean these
> README files should be used for front-end work only, and not installed
> anywhere.

.PKGINFO and such files are handled in libalpm

btw sure, this is up to the frontend, shile executing such files are
dony by libalpm. that's why the post_instal scriptlet must be silent and
shouldn't output any essential info

> There is another thing - some packages generates some progress info
> during install (like ">>> Genreating initial ramdisk... done").
> - this should be addressed too, maybe with something like
> status_message() function, or something else.

the behaviour is bad, but in this case just a gui user should wait (like
while running ldconfig) but he/she doesn't miss any essential info

udv / greetings,
VMiklos

--
Developer of Frugalware Linux, to make things frugal - http://frugalware.org