[pacman-dev] issues again about our patch queue

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 12:39:49 EST 2006

On 11/9/06, VMiklos <vmiklos at frugalware.org> wrote:
> krix just told me that you have problems with our patch queue. may i ask
> you to:
>
> 1) discuss such problems here, not in private mails or on irc

The problem was brought up in private because I noticed it _as I was
writing an email to him_.

> 2) mention what is the problem with our patch queue

I'm not sure what you mean by "patch queue".  My issue is this from
darcs.frugalware.org:
"pacman 	Frugalware's .tar.bz2 based package manager with depende ..."

Really... I mean, looking around it just appears that you guys are
running a fork, and not "pacman".

As a corollary, let's look at IceWeasel - it has the Firefox code,
plus a few additional patches, they regularly sync with upstream, etc
etc.  It sounds alot like what you guys do with "Frugalware's package
manager".

I'm not trying to say anything bad by it.  It's just customary to make
a name change when running a fork (I even think the GPL requires it,
but I may be mistaken).  I mean, lets look at it from a user's point
of view:

"Oh hey, pacman, I used that on Arch! Wait... why doesn't that option
work? What's going on? Where's the PKGBUILD for that? FrugalBuild,
huh? foo-1.0-1-i686.fpm, what?".  When a new name comes along, the
user knows they're getting something different.