[pacman-dev] issues again about our patch queue

VMiklos vmiklos at frugalware.org
Thu Nov 9 16:38:49 EST 2006

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 11:39:49AM -0600, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure what you mean by "patch queue".  My issue is this from
> darcs.frugalware.org:
> "pacman 	Frugalware's .tar.bz2 based package manager with depende ..."
>
> Really... I mean, looking around it just appears that you guys are
> running a fork, and not "pacman".

then why the hell do we waste hours with pointing out typos in the CVS?
(which are not in darcs)

> As a corollary, let's look at IceWeasel - it has the Firefox code,
> plus a few additional patches, they regularly sync with upstream, etc
> etc.  It sounds alot like what you guys do with "Frugalware's package
> manager".

hm, and where is the Pacman Foundation that owns the trademark (!)
pacman?

> I'm not trying to say anything bad by it.

just you want to us to fork instead of applying our patches with zero
reason

> It's just customary to make a name change when running a fork (I even
> think the GPL requires it, but I may be mistaken).

gpl again. did you forget the end of the last gpl story? finally you did
what you never wanted, acknowledged our copyright lines and commited to
the cvs

>  I mean, lets look at it from a user's point of view:
>
> "Oh hey, pacman, I used that on Arch! Wait... why doesn't that option
> work? What's going on? Where's the PKGBUILD for that? FrugalBuild,
> huh? foo-1.0-1-i686.fpm, what?".  When a new name comes along, the
> user knows they're getting something different.

if we were using PKGBUILDs and pkg.tar.gzs, too then the users would be
much more confused: "glibc-2.5-1.pkg.tar.gz is for what distro?"
currently our pacman prevents installing packages made not for
Frugalware to avoid possible corruptions. to be honest, isn't this a
better approach? (see the big mess with suse vs fedora rpms)

btw if you really hate all non-arch-devel contributors like krix and me
and you want us to fork pacman and deny us to contribute, then say, what
should be the name of the fork?

ps: yes i know that this mail is arrogant. it is because Judd always say
"thank you guys" and you say "what the hell are you doing? you're
violating gpl! stop contributing, fork!". see the difference. and i have
no problem with you personally, i only have problems with what you're
saying :)

udv / greetings,
VMiklos

--