[pacman-dev] makepkg Patch for consistancy

Jason Chu jason at archlinux.org
Wed Nov 15 22:09:42 EST 2006

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 21:38:05 -0500
Daniel McGee <toofishes at hotmail.com> wrote:

> This patch implements two consistency issues I think are present in
> makepkg. Once again, use what you want, not trying to force a patch
> down your throat.
>
> 1. DISTCC was a variable without 'USE_' or 'NO' attached, so I
> changed it to USE_DISTCC.
> 2. Undocumented options are present in the makepkg script so I made
> these options available in makepkg.conf with explanations. The script
> also needed slightly changing to accommodate these.
>
> Dan

[snip part of the patch]
> -#-- Don't strip symbols from binaries/libraries
> -NOSTRIP=0
> -#-- Keep doc and info directories
> +#-- Keep doc and info directories?
>   KEEPDOCS=0
> +#-- Don't strip symbols from binaries/libraries?
> +NOSTRIP=0
> +#-- Don't remove libtool files?
> +#NOLIBTOOL=0
> +#-- Don't remove empty directories from package?
> +#NOEMPTYDIRS=0
[snip rest of the patch]

I'm not sure of the usefulness of having NOSTRIP, NOLIBTOOL, and
NOEMPTYDIRS as global makepkg.conf variables (I realize NOSTRIP was
there already).  The reason is that we use these on a per PKGBUILD
basis.  We want the default to be the arch default and then to modify
in exceptional cases.

Arguably, maybe we want to be able to choose the default and the "arch
default" is shortsighted and naive.  But in that case, you'd want to
have the option to STRIP, LIBTOOL, EMPTYDIRS in the options=() in a
PKGBUILD.

Jason