[pacman-dev] makepkg Patch for consistancy

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 21:14:36 EST 2006

On 11/16/06, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/15/06, Daniel McGee <toofishes at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Forgot to put this in the last email. That last section in makepkg.conf
> > (FUNCTIONALITY CONFIGURATION) is not something that users of a
> > particular distro will be tweaking- it should pretty much stay the same.
> > Should/could something like this be moved into the makepkg script
> > itself? That way it is still 'variablized', but is more integrated as
> > part of the program itself and less as a configuration option.
> >
> > Dan
>
> Well, I'm of the opinion that it should be configurable... I guess it
> could easilly go into makepkg itself, but I don't really see good/bad
> arguments either way, so it was really just a gut-instinct choice.
>
> I just assumed that if someone (frugalware) were to redistribute
> makepkg, it makes more sense to be able to use it out-of-the-box with
> a different config, than needed to sed the values out of it.
>
> Admittedly, they will probably end up being ./configure options
> anyway, so the argument above doesn't hold much water.

I was also thinking maybe the makepkg script itself would be a better
place for some of these options. This way there are there for changing
in necessary...but not as much for tweaking. I was also thinking that
the other build options, should still be available but perhaps should
be better documented in a section of makepkg that is devoted to a
distro's normal configuration, along with the name for PKGBUILD, the
package extension, etc.

Dan