[pacman-dev] Time for changes

VMiklos vmiklos at frugalware.org
Tue Oct 3 18:37:24 EDT 2006

On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 04:29:53PM -0500, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On a side note, something which is rather important, I noticed on
> quite a few of these files you guys had removed judd's name in the
> copyright, and added your own.  If I'm not mistaken, this is a rather
> severe GPL violation - something along the lines of "permission is
> granted as long as this copyright remains in tact".  Please fix this.

you can find a script called copyright.py in the patch, that was used to
fix up the copyrights. as far as i know Judd's name was only removed
where the author of the file was Aurelien or me (like libalpm/server.c)

if you think somewhere it was removed where it should not be, then
probably the cvs logs are incorrect but feel free to came up with a list
of "invalid" removes

adding proper copyright lines are a lot of time and when (according to
the cvs logs) judd never touched a file, i don't think he should be in
the copyright list. see the kernel source, you can't find Linus' name in
every file

and of course the basic purpose of the while copyright update is to
appropriate Aurelien's and others' work, not hiding Judd's one, i hope
this is clear :)

udv / greetings,
VMiklos

--