[pacman-dev] Time for changes

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 02:31:53 EDT 2006

On 10/3/06, VMiklos <vmiklos at frugalware.org> wrote:
> the copyrights were not valid, since they stated the only copyright
> holder is Judd which is not true. so we had to fix them and the easiest
> way was to fix them according to the cvs logs

Using cvs is 100% not viable.  There are 100 cases I can think of
where judd would not be logged in cvs, yet still had wrote some of
it... for instance (please read the first case a few times):
* He was the author of pacman 2, on which this code is based, thus
satisfying the GPL
* He emailed the files to someone else
* The files were moved from one repository to another, and changes
were not preserved
* The originals were made outside of cvs, and the first check in was
done by another user

I can go on and on.  Simple fact of the matter is that you cannot use
CVS logs to do this.  Hey, none of you guys have your names listed in
our cvs, can I remove those?

It's still just rather rude to go about and do these things.  I know
you guys are trying to contribute and all, but this is rather inane.
And besides, you talk about "invalid copyrights".... says who?  It is
completely within legal limits for an author to not be a copyright
holder.

To me, i see it as disrespectful to Judd more than anything else... I
mean, if someone sent me a patch for something I originally wrote that
had around 100 lines of things like this:

- *  Copyright (c) 2002-2006 by Judd Vinet <jvinet at zeroflux.org>
+ *  Copyright (c) 2005 by Judd Vinet <jvinet at zeroflux.org>

and

-COPYRIGHT_HOLDER = Judd Vinet
+COPYRIGHT_HOLDER = Yoyodyne, Inc.

I would be rather offended.  In fact, it's not even me and it offends
the crap out of me.