[pacman-dev] Time for changes

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 06:11:50 EDT 2006

2006/10/4, VMiklos <vmiklos at frugalware.org>:
> good question. i took my ideas from the kernel source, for example:
>
> $ grep -c Linus /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/wireless/ipw2200.c
> 0
>
> so where Linus is not an author, there he isn't listed at all. the
> situation is the same with MPlayer:
>
> $ grep -c Gereoffy libvo/vo_png.c
> 0
>
> of course maybe all the kernel & MPlayer devs are crazy, but i don't
> think so :)

Then it seems that the style of inclusion of copyright info is
different in different projects. :-/   ...as always in OSS world. :-)

> > As for generating any copyrights info from CVS - then you forget about
> > those who has no acces to CVS but contributed some patches.
>
> the whole issue is about this: Christian and me have no write access to
> the cvs and our contributions are pushed by others and if they have a
> good day then they include our names in the cvs log, if they don't have,
> then they don't even do so

Oh, didn't know about that.

Come on, guys! Why not just relax and first come to decission about
what copyright info style should be in Pacman - like in SDL or like in
kernel & MPlayer?

In the first case there is standard copyright info for entire project,
that repeats in _every_ file.
Example:
  SuperProjectX. Copyright (C) 1997-2006, SomeCompany.

In the second case every file has its own copyright info.
Example  main.c:
  SuperProjectX. Copyright (C) 1997-2006, SomeCompany.
some_functions.c:
  SuperProjectX. Copyright (C) 1997-2006, SomeCompany.
  SuperProjectX. SomeFunctions. Copyright (C) 1999-2004, good guy.
  Some megacool feature support - contriubuted by another good guy.

Then if you come to conclusion - there will be no misunderstandings
about what to include and in which form.
I don't think any of devs are very bothered with copyrights. There
just should be standard policy about this.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)