[pacman-dev] Time for changes

VMiklos vmiklos at frugalware.org
Wed Oct 4 05:50:28 EDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 12:13:02PM +0300, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not a lawyer, nor I'm strong in interpreting GPL terms

nor me :)

> but "one
> copyright holder - many authors" is common thing in many projects. For
> example in every source file of SDL (except in those that are just
> included from other projects) there are the following lines:
>     SDL - Simple DirectMedia Layer
>     Copyright (C) 1997-2006 Sam Lantinga
> And it doesn't matter that some file didn't exist in 1997, and that
> most of audio code was (and continues to be) written by Ryan Gordon.
> There are also other contributors, i.e. maintainers of ports for other
> platforms.
> But there is a file named CREDITS, where _all_ contributions and their
> authors are listed, with many thanks to them.
> And this is just fine, because in other way there wolud be 10-20 lines
> of copyright info in many files.

good question. i took my ideas from the kernel source, for example:

$ grep -c Linus /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/wireless/ipw2200.c
0

so where Linus is not an author, there he isn't listed at all. the
situation is the same with MPlayer:

$ grep -c Gereoffy libvo/vo_png.c
0

of course maybe all the kernel & MPlayer devs are crazy, but i don't
think so :)

> As for generating any copyrights info from CVS - then you forget about
> those who has no acces to CVS but contributed some patches.

the whole issue is about this: Christian and me have no write access to
the cvs and our contributions are pushed by others and if they have a
good day then they include our names in the cvs log, if they don't have,
then they don't even do so

udv / greetings,
VMiklos

--