[pacman-dev] Problems with frugalware splitname changes

VMiklos vmiklos at frugalware.org
Sun Oct 8 05:14:32 EDT 2006

On Sat, Oct 07, 2006 at 11:25:15PM -0500, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> An ifdef would certainly work, but there's a point where to code is
> going to diverge too greatly... I mean how many #ifdef FRUGALWARE
> changes will we end up with.

i hope as less as possible. i'll try to prepare a patch then we'll see
:)

> In some of these cases, we should be able to check, on-the-fly, if it
> has an arch name or not.  I don't know about _all_ of them, but it
> should be straightforward to actually check....
> I need to think about it though.  Arch packages do have an
> architecture value, but it's not used in the package name, so it would
> be a tad difficult to reconstruct...

of course the on-the-fly approach will work for makepkg, gensync and so
on :)

> I'm assuming there's no way to convince you guys to make extra dirs
> for your different architectures instead of appending it to the
> pakcage name, is there? 8)

yes, you're right :) i don't want to flame about this, but two reasons:

1) since only one version of a package is stored in the pkgdb, including
the package version and release in the filename would be unnecessary,
too (sounds a bit weird :) )

2) all the other package managers (rpm/deb/slack) includes the
architecture in the filename

udv / greetings,
VMiklos

--