[pacman-dev] Problems with frugalware splitname changes

Jason Chu jason at archlinux.org
Sun Oct 8 12:22:17 EDT 2006

On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 11:14:32 +0200
VMiklos <vmiklos at frugalware.org> wrote:

> 2) all the other package managers (rpm/deb/slack) includes the
> architecture in the filename

I've been arguing for the architecture in the filename for a long
time... some arch devs are really against the idea and I have no idea
why...  Usually the best argument they have is that it breaks backwards
compatibility and packages in repos should be stored in their
architecture's directories.  Both of which, I don't buy.

I once had an idea to not depend on the filename at all.  Instead to
get the package's info from the .PKGINFO.  Then the filename becomes
irrelevant...

Jason