[pacman-dev] Problems with frugalware splitname changes

VMiklos vmiklos at frugalware.org
Sun Oct 8 14:26:15 EDT 2006

On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 09:22:17AM -0700, Jason Chu <jason at archlinux.org> wrote:
> I've been arguing for the architecture in the filename for a long
> time... some arch devs are really against the idea and I have no idea
> why...  Usually the best argument they have is that it breaks backwards
> compatibility and packages in repos should be stored in their
> architecture's directories.  Both of which, I don't buy.

we have them in separate dirs, too. and you can't be backwards
compatible forever.. :) the usual practice at us is to to be backwards
compatible between stable releases. so after 0.5 was out, the 0.4 ->
-current upgrade is no longer supported

> I once had an idea to not depend on the filename at all.  Instead to
> get the package's info from the .PKGINFO.  Then the filename becomes
> irrelevant...

when you build the list of files to download it still matters imho

udv / greetings,
VMiklos

--
Developer of Frugalware Linux, to make things frugal - http://frugalware.org