[pacman-dev] Problems with frugalware splitname changes

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 18:09:49 EDT 2006

Woah, I think this thread went on a bit of a tangent.  Here are my
points, rewritten to clarify things.

The -arch ending to frugalware packages does not work with arch
packages.  Currently arch packages do not have this.  I have heard no
arguments on EITHER side of the fence about why to do this or why not
to - and, frankly, this is not the right thread... we can start a new
one for that.  The point is it breaks things now.

Detecting the architecture at runtime COULD be ifdef'd out, but I have
a high aversion to:
#ifdef FRUGALWARE
#else //archlinux
#endif

It looks messy, and ties pacman in places where it doesn't need it.
And once this is an option, how many issues similar to this will later
be solved with "just use #ifdef FRUGALWARE" - it's not a good idea to
do this... define:spaghetti code

As for the actual detection at runtime... well, I didn't mean anything
fancy.  I actually meant tokenize the filename and split off the last
3 chunks, checking to see which are numeric (pkgrel) or fit something
versioncmp understands (pkgver) and setting the arch if we have an
extra dangling token.  I know this would cause problems with packages
named.... package-9-1.0-1, but there are no existing packages like
this, and I have a feeling those may break the existing setup.

For right now, I have removed these changes... if you guys really want
to move to a "-ARCHNAME" suffix, someone start another thread
discussing this.  Right now I have no reason to make the change, as no
one has ever brought this up to me.