[pacman-dev] Problems with frugalware splitname changes

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 11:02:11 EDT 2006

On 10/9/06, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be nice if there were less differences between
> Arch/Frugalware/<other pacman-based distro> in package management
> area, but we live in the world which is far from perfect. There _will_
> be differences. For example, I doubt that Frugalware will change *.fpm
> back to *.pkg.tar.gz or eliminate/rename some extensions to PKGBUILDs
> & makepkg.

Well, as far as this goes - this (in the near future) will be
available as a configure flag.  I don't actually see the extension
naming as a distro specific thing, really.  There's been talking about
changing the archlinux package extension too.  With this option, we
could easilly switch it with a simple compile (not saying we would).
Defining constants in this way is fine and all, but changing FEATURES
like this is a poor choice.  It's not like we're talking about "256
colors" or not, which aren't supported on all displays.

At this point in time, especially with one feature like this, which
_can_ be resolved, I see no need to start doing this the messy hackish
way i'll call "ifdef FRUGALWARE"