[pacman-dev] Problems with frugalware splitname changes

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 11:36:19 EDT 2006

2006/10/9, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>:
> On 10/9/06, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It would be nice if there were less differences between
> > Arch/Frugalware/<other pacman-based distro> in package management
> > area, but we live in the world which is far from perfect. There _will_
> > be differences. For example, I doubt that Frugalware will change *.fpm
> > back to *.pkg.tar.gz or eliminate/rename some extensions to PKGBUILDs
> > & makepkg.
>
> Well, as far as this goes - this (in the near future) will be
> available as a configure flag.  I don't actually see the extension
> naming as a distro specific thing, really.  There's been talking about
> changing the archlinux package extension too.

I didn't know about this until you mentioned this in your previous message.
And what were variants? OK, it's not so important and it's off-topic,
but I'm very interested. :-)

> With this option, we
> could easilly switch it with a simple compile (not saying we would).
> Defining constants in this way is fine and all, but changing FEATURES
> like this is a poor choice.  It's not like we're talking about "256
> colors" or not, which aren't supported on all displays.

Well, I agree on that. Pacman shoul have the same features regardless
of distros. I think there shouldn't be a situationd like these: Arch
uses md5, Frugalware uses sha1 (BTW, SHA-512 is even better);
Frugalware has extensions to better manage CPAN modules, etc...

> At this point in time, especially with one feature like this, which
> _can_ be resolved, I see no need to start doing this the messy hackish
> way i'll call "ifdef FRUGALWARE"

Do you still talking about pkgname-pkgver-pkgrel[-arch] naming? Can't
-arch suffix be made optional? I mean use arch=(...) in pkgbuilds
anyway, but allow distro makers to add -arch suffix to package
filenames without worrying abut how pacman will eat that. I agree that
having "#ifdef FRUGALWARE" stuff is not nice here.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)