[pacman-dev] $ARCH suffix on packages

Jason Chu jason at archlinux.org
Tue Oct 10 13:16:51 EDT 2006

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 10:18:29 -0500
"Aaron Griffin" <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Coming at it from this angle, I think this may actually be a good idea
> across the board.  Xentac, do you remember where the argument ended up
> when this was brought up before?

I had said that we could get around the filename parsing problem
(ambiguities in pkgver, pkgrel parsing) by extracting the metadata from
the tarball and including the package's filename in the db.

Then it got shouted down by people saying that we shouldn't break
backwards compatibility and all packages should be stored in the repo
layout anyway, so there are no good reasons to change it.

I also brought up the finding a random package argument, but no one
wanted to hear it.  *All* packages had to be installed from the repos
that were broken up into those architectures...

Jason