[pacman-dev] $ARCH suffix on packages

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 11:57:53 EDT 2006

On 10/11/06, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, it seems most devs agree to have $ARCH in package filename.
> Hmm.. but what about pacman2. Will there be a new version that will handle this?

This will be thought of.  No one wants to break anything.  We will not
get ahead of ourselves.  I think most of the collaborators here have
enough programming experience to know how to handle things like this.

> And, when we are going to change filenames of all packages, then why
> not to change tar.gz to tar.bz2 and md5sum to sha1sum (or even
> sha512sum) at the same time?

a) bz2 is slower to decompress.  Adding CPU time for a slight amount
of bandwidth saving etc etc, I can go on and on... libarchive should
handle this regardless... it may actually work right now...
personally, I don't really care.  I just want my crap installed as
fast as possible

b) I don't feel that anything is gained from using sha1sums.  md5 is
the defacto file integrity check.  We're not using md5 as a
cryptographic algorithm, we're checking file integrity

Regardless, you're getting ahead here... neither of these issues has
been discussed at all.  We need to take this one step at a time.
Applying 30 changes then saying "poof, use this" is never a good idea.