[pacman-dev] $ARCH suffix on packages

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 12:21:40 EDT 2006

2006/10/11, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>:
> > And, when we are going to change filenames of all packages, then why
> > not to change tar.gz to tar.bz2 and md5sum to sha1sum (or even
> > sha512sum) at the same time?
>
> a) bz2 is slower to decompress.  Adding CPU time for a slight amount
> of bandwidth saving etc etc, I can go on and on... libarchive should
> handle this regardless... it may actually work right now...
> personally, I don't really care.  I just want my crap installed as
> fast as possible

I know that bz2 decompressing is slower, but does "as fast as
possible" also include downloading time?
bz2 will be downloaded faster, because it has less size. ;-)

> b) I don't feel that anything is gained from using sha1sums.  md5 is
> the defacto file integrity check.  We're not using md5 as a
> cryptographic algorithm, we're checking file integrity

Then why Frugalware guys use it instead of md5 now? What advantages it
gives them? I'm just curious.

> Regardless, you're getting ahead here... neither of these issues has
> been discussed at all.  We need to take this one step at a time.
> Applying 30 changes then saying "poof, use this" is never a good idea.

I understand, but "one step a time" can be not so good if there will
be few something-breaking steps instead of one.

OK, I don't want to go too much ahead. So I'll wait until right time
comes... :-)

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)