[pacman-dev] some differences between Arch's and Frugalware's Pacman branches

VMiklos vmiklos at frugalware.org
Mon Oct 23 18:03:03 EDT 2006

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 12:40:44AM +0300, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) Why there is "typedef struct __pmlist_t PMList;" in DARCS
> (libalpm/list.h)? What it gives? IMHO it's inconsistent with pmdb_t,
> pmpkg_t etc. Isn't this difference completely useless and even bad
> because of different API?

see the cvs log. during the last merge i've pulled in some serious bugs
(a buffer overrun and a segfault on amd64) so i carefully pull in
changes. i'll pull that in soon

> 2) There are differences in progressbar and log implementations. Some
> code has been moved from libalpm/log.h and libalpm/server.h to
> libalpm/handle.c in Frugalware's branch.
> 3) _alpm_db_search, alpm_pkg_load, alpm_pkg_free call _alpm_log in
> Arch's branch.
> 4) alpm_cb_log has been moved from log.h to alpm.h in Frugalware's branch.

please put out these diffs to somewhere or paste them here, i don't
remember such differences

> 5) There's no _alpm_db_register callback in Frugalware's branch.

i'll pull it in

> 6) There is local time format support in cb_log in Arch's branch.

same, please show a diff

> In libalpm\alpm.c lines 1213-1214 (1256-1275 in FwPacman) are
> different. Does this show the usefulness of _alpm_db_register?

sure

> Very little differences, some looks a bit strange for me:
> 1) In pacman/sync.c, lines 164 and 204 - two strange little cosmethic
> changes. :-/

yes, there are many - in a previous mail Aaron said he likes such
cosmetics

> 2) There's "extern pmhandle_t *handle;" on top of most *.c files in
> Frugalware's branch in libalpm.

cvs log again, that has been moved to handle.h recently in cvs. i'll
pull it in

> 3) alpm_conflict_getinfo abd alpm_db_update have slightly different
> Doxygen comments.

i'll have a look at it, as you can see that's a minor issue

> Well, that's all. Sorry if I take your time but I want to learn more
> about Pacman internals, so it will be nice if someone can explain
> these differences. ;-)

mostly temporarily differences, as you can see :)

btw then probably you excluded the scripts dir: the "building in chroot"
and subpackages and such other makepkg features aren't merged

udv / greetings,
VMiklos

--
Developer of Frugalware Linux, to make things frugal - http://frugalware.org