[pacman-dev] Time for changes

VMiklos vmiklos at frugalware.org
Thu Sep 28 16:44:54 EDT 2006

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 01:48:28PM -0500, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you frugalware guys could send me a full diff (here or offlist) of
> your repo compared to the trunk, that'd be great.  I don't like
> applying patches without verifying them, so I'm going to step through
> each hunk (this is why I originally requested them as the seperate
> patches sent to the ML, but I can deal with it either way).

i'll send one soon. yes, separate small patches are nice, but most
splitted patch sent to this list is already outdated, so i think
reviewing the big patch will be less work for you

> One thing i plan on doing right off the bat: I want to enable a
> side-by-side install with the current pacman, so that we can get some
> real testing by those (like me) who don't want to overwrite the stable
> pacman.  This is just informational, but it shouldn't affect the
> frugalware guys.

that's exactly what we did before we switched to pacman3 (i've just
noticed i still have a pacman2 static binary on my system :) )

> To the furgalware team:  you have more experience with this new pacman
> that I do... could you give me a brief "what's changed" -
> functionality wise.  I mean, when actually using pacman3, what is done
> differently?

huh, lots of stuff. i think the best is to read both the cvs log and our
changelog. unfortunelly, in the early days i haven't included in the
relevant cvs logs in my "synced with upstream" patches. but i'll include
a changelog in the header of the big patch

> What future directions are we going for?  I'd like to get this stable
> as soon as possible, but once that's done, I have a handful of nifty
> features I wanted to add (those on the dev list: I want to add
> filesystem hooks first, then some more advanced output logging).

when i first saw pacman, i had two big issues and two small ones:
- if foo conflicted with bar, and foo was installed pacman -S bar did
  not work (that patch is already merged to the cvs)
- insufficed error messages (mostly done by Aurel)

the not-so-urgent ones:
- the download code was in pacman, not in the library (this is not
  merged yet)
- the config parser was in pacman, not in the library (this is not
  merged yet)

these were the main issues and all is solved in our tree, so i don't
have big plans, users always have enough small feature requests :)

> There are also some potential changes to gensync and friends,
> depending on what direction we go with some svn changes... but that's
> off topic.

there isn't any cvs-specific code in gensync, afaik. in our tree there
is a oneliner reference to darcs to ignore the _darcs dir when searching
for FrugalBuilds

i hope i can send you the big patch in 1-2 days

udv / greetings,
VMiklos

--
Developer of Frugalware Linux, to make things frugal - http://frugalware.org