[pacman-dev] Time for changes

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 17:00:43 EDT 2006

On 9/28/06, VMiklos <vmiklos at frugalware.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 01:48:28PM -0500, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > One thing i plan on doing right off the bat: I want to enable a
> > side-by-side install with the current pacman, so that we can get some
> > real testing by those (like me) who don't want to overwrite the stable
> > pacman.  This is just informational, but it shouldn't affect the
> > frugalware guys.
>
> that's exactly what we did before we switched to pacman3 (i've just
> noticed i still have a pacman2 static binary on my system :) )

Yeah, though I'd probably reverse that and, basically add a "3" to
everything - pacman3, /etc/pacman3.d/, /var/lib/pacman3 etc etc - I
don't want to mess up existing databases/configs at all.

> huh, lots of stuff. i think the best is to read both the cvs log and our
> changelog. unfortunelly, in the early days i haven't included in the
> relevant cvs logs in my "synced with upstream" patches. but i'll include
> a changelog in the header of the big patch

Ok, I don't have a link to your web view (darcs IIRC), can you send
that, so I can take a peek - it's probably on your front page
somewhere, but I'm at work and rather busy.

> when i first saw pacman, i had two big issues and two small ones:
> - if foo conflicted with bar, and foo was installed pacman -S bar did
>   not work (that patch is already merged to the cvs)

I'm not sure I understand this one.  If foo and bar conflict, bar
shouldn't be installed if foo is installed... can you explain this
case more?

> these were the main issues and all is solved in our tree, so i don't
> have big plans, users always have enough small feature requests :)

I have a few big-ish ideas... mainly a few ideas to fix up repetative
.install files - in short, some sort of file-matching config and
commands to run when something is matched - if the /opt/mono/docs dir
has been changed in this pacman run, rerun monodoc generation (right
now, monodoc reruns about 5 times on a decent mono upgrade) - same
with, say, xorg font dirs.
This will remove quite alot of repetative install files (depmod for
modules, all the font stuff for fonts, all the gnome stuff, vim doc
regeneration for vim plugins, etc etc).

> > There are also some potential changes to gensync and friends,
> > depending on what direction we go with some svn changes... but that's
> > off topic.
>
> there isn't any cvs-specific code in gensync, afaik. in our tree there
> is a oneliner reference to darcs to ignore the _darcs dir when searching
> for FrugalBuilds

It's not with relation to cvs or svn really, but some ideas on how
things can be changed _if_ we go about reorganizing things in an svn
repo.  It's still rather up in the air right now.

> i hope i can send you the big patch in 1-2 days

Awesome, thanks alot.