[pacman-dev] pacman, be quiet !

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 20:55:50 EDT 2007

2007/4/20, Mateusz Jędrasik <m.jedrasik at gmail.com>:
> I, personally, like this behaviour of pacman. I can right away see if my
> current mirror is out of date, and such messages are merely informational -

hmm, that only happens when you're switching mirrors, right? I
personally always use the same one :) But I get your point.

> however what I'd rather suggest is bump version/inform the person who is
> responsible for the PKGBUILD/ package in the official repos - getting it to
> the higher version for everyone who wishes to install it (if it indeed
> incorporates some news, i.e. if it's not a major version bump for example -
> there should be a separate pkg for those sometimes since not everyone plans
> on running the latest, as that doesn't always mean necessarily the greatest).

Right, maybe in most cases, if the packages you're using is newer than
the one in the mirrors, then the one in the mirrors should be
upgraded.
But that's not always the case. For example, you might be running an
experimental version that shouldn't be in any mirrors, or you applied
some custom patches for testing, or you enabled/disabled some
configure options that will not make everyone happy.
I believe you can have valid reasons for building several custom
packages different from the ones in the repos, and you know they are
only local because you build them, and you don't want to have pacman
output spammed at every upgrade :)

Obviously, if this information is very useful for several people, and
don't store anyone but me, it should just stay this way.