[pacman-dev] pacman, be quiet !

Mateusz Jędrasik m.jedrasik at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 21:00:18 EDT 2007

Friday 20 of April 2007 02:55:50 Xavier napisał(a):
> 2007/4/20, Mateusz Jędrasik <m.jedrasik at gmail.com>:
> > I, personally, like this behaviour of pacman. I can right away see if my
> > current mirror is out of date, and such messages are merely informational
> > -
>
> hmm, that only happens when you're switching mirrors, right? I
> personally always use the same one :) But I get your point.
>
> > however what I'd rather suggest is bump version/inform the person who is
> > responsible for the PKGBUILD/ package in the official repos - getting it
> > to the higher version for everyone who wishes to install it (if it indeed
> > incorporates some news, i.e. if it's not a major version bump for example
> > - there should be a separate pkg for those sometimes since not everyone
> > plans on running the latest, as that doesn't always mean necessarily the
> > greatest).
>
> Right, maybe in most cases, if the packages you're using is newer than
> the one in the mirrors, then the one in the mirrors should be
> upgraded.
> But that's not always the case. For example, you might be running an
> experimental version that shouldn't be in any mirrors, or you applied
> some custom patches for testing, or you enabled/disabled some
> configure options that will not make everyone happy.
> I believe you can have valid reasons for building several custom
> packages different from the ones in the repos, and you know they are
> only local because you build them, and you don't want to have pacman
> output spammed at every upgrade :)
>
> Obviously, if this information is very useful for several people, and
> don't store anyone but me, it should just stay this way.

I guess you could rename the package somehow then, as long as it's providing
the proper dependencies... Dunno if there are switches in PKGBUILD like
provides='blah' to make that happen without extra magic, I'm not too familiar
with it yet.

On the other hand there is always aur as well, which probably could sort
things out. Anyway - it's just a small message - I don't see a reason onto
adding functionality to pacman that is only usable to very few people, not
only adding it, but making it the default - that is even less desired in my
opinion.

Regards,

//m.

--