[pacman-dev] provide version numbers + pacman.conf == command line

Nagy Gabor ngaba at petra.hos.u-szeged.hu
Fri Apr 20 06:36:22 EDT 2007

> I guess you could rename the package somehow then, as long as it's
> providing the proper dependencies... Dunno if there are switches in
> PKGBUILD like provides='blah' to make that happen without extra
> magic, I'm not too familiar with it yet.

Unfortunately provide cannot have a version number now, however depends
may need it. In my opinion we should implement it. (We talked about this
earlier here.) "Emulate packages" is another reason for doing that. And
frugalware guys already did this, so we just ~apply their patch(es).

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with --quiet option if there would be
any way to add options to pacman.conf. In general, IMHO that would be
useful if we could set default switches in pacman.conf or in
"PACFLAGS". (Another examples where this would be useful: --verbose,
--debug, --noconfirm). What's more, I think we should unify the command
line parameters and pacman.conf: I think they should be identical (of
course command line should override pacman.conf).

Bye, ngaba