[pacman-dev] provide version numbers + pacman.conf == command line

VMiklos vmiklos at frugalware.org
Fri Apr 20 13:39:46 EDT 2007

Na Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 06:38:59PM +0200, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> pisal(a):
> Hmm, I don't know, I think that ideally, all logs could be enabled or
> disabled at running time.

i was wrong, you can already disable warnings using --debug 0 ;)

> There are 5 kind of logs, so that would make 6 level :
> 0 : nothing, 1 : +error, 2 : +warning, 3 : +debug, 4 : +download, 5 : +function
> And the default level would be either 1 or 2. While I think errors,
> which really indicate something went wrong, should be displayed by
> default, I'm not sure about warnings, which are generally harmless.
>
> Is it possible to handle this only with this --debug option, by
> keeping it clear

it's clear already, just have a look at the library header (--debug -1
will enable all logs, --debug 0 will disable all of them, 4 will display
errors only and so on)

> and easy to use?

i have no idea how could this be easier to use, though for sure it may
be hard for someone who is not familiar with the hexadecimal numbers

maybe something like chmod's +r w x a etc?

> Using --debug 2 for getting warnings and --debug 3 for debug level is
> maybe not very clear, but well, I'm not sure..

debug is 1, warnigns is 4, i don't think we would like to change these
causing an api change

VMiklos

--
developer of Frugalware Linux - http://frugalware.org