[pacman-dev] makepkg patch to create $pkgname-docs package for docs

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 02:21:59 EDT 2007

2007/4/24, Scott Horowitz <stonecrest at gmail.com>:
> I was under the impression that, at some point, all pacman packages
> would include docs by default but there would be a post_install hook
> in pacman whereby people could specify to strip docs
> (post_install="stripdocs" in pacman.conf or something similar).
>
> At least, I hope this is still the case ;) It's clean and gives users
> a lot of flexibility to perform additional tasks (e.g. strip unneeded
> locales).

Nah, stripping docs after downloading them is ...mm ...not good. ;-)
I was long-time supporter for splitted packages though (-dev, -doc
etc., you can see my comments about that idea in some bugreports).
Though most packages don't contain anything really useful in docs, but
some (e.g. for interpreters or libraries) are useful.
I like Alessio's aproach to solving that -doc packages issue.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)