[pacman-dev] makepkg patch to create $pkgname-docs package for docs

Scott Horowitz stonecrest at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 11:40:48 EDT 2007

On 4/24/07, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
> Nah, stripping docs after downloading them is ...mm ...not good. ;-)
> I was long-time supporter for splitted packages though (-dev, -doc
> etc., you can see my comments about that idea in some bugreports).

I disagree strongly, but you probably already knew that ;) It seems
ridiculous to me to have packages with just docs. What happened to
KISS? I guarantee that the vast majority of users will either want all
docs or want no docs, not some in between on a per-package basis.
Having vanilla arch packages built with docs and allowing people to
specify in their pacman.conf if they want them stripped is very
logical.

I sure hope Arch never goes the way of Debian, where every application
is split into numerous packages. It's the thing I hate most about
Debian-based systems. Just look at how many Ubuntu packages there are
for the kernel - kernel-build, kernel-doc, kernel-headers,
kernel-image, kernel-package, kernel-source, kernel-tree,
kernel-wedge, linux-kernel-dev. What a headache :(

Scott