[pacman-dev] makepkg patch to create $pkgname-docs package for docs

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 13:04:52 EDT 2007

On 4/24/07, Jason Chu <jason at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 07:38:37PM +0200, Alessio 'mOLOk' Bolognino wrote:
> > This patch is a proof of concept to create a separate package
> > for docs file ($pkgname-docs) with an only PKGBUILD.
> >
> > Do you like it?
>
> I know my opinion doesn't really matter in these cases, but...
>
> I would prefer to solve this much more generally than just creating a -docs
> package.  If we're going to split packages, we might as well be able to
> split them any way we want.

I'm with Jason on this one- I like the idea of not needing multiple
PKGBUILDs for packages that clearly can be generated from one, but we
should extend this beyond docs. Think about kernel modules- those are
a clear case for this as well.

Responding to Roman- not to say you are wrong, but bandwidth has never
been a concern for me and I feel like a lot of other users are the
same way. We should keep that in mind with decisions though, although
Arch has never been marketed as a distribution meant for those with
slow connections- the idea of constant upgrading stomps on that.

Finally, about the patch itself- if this was done, it should be
functionalized, as I can see you duplicated a lot of code when
generating the .PKGINFO file. You should be able to use the same code
for both PKGINFO generations. In addition, I really dislike all the
extra stuff (crud?) that has worked its way into makepkg- installing
and removing deps, installing the package, etc. It is ugly that you
had to make an extra installdocspackage function. It is almost to the
point where the core makepkg functionality should be broken out.