[pacman-dev] makepkg patch to create $pkgname-docs package for docs

Alessio 'mOLOk' Bolognino themolok.ml at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 13:17:05 EDT 2007

On 13:04 Tue 24 Apr     , Dan McGee wrote:
> On 4/24/07, Jason Chu <jason at archlinux.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 07:38:37PM +0200, Alessio 'mOLOk' Bolognino wrote:
> > > This patch is a proof of concept to create a separate package
> > > for docs file ($pkgname-docs) with an only PKGBUILD.
> > >
> > > Do you like it?
> >
> > I know my opinion doesn't really matter in these cases, but...
> >
> > I would prefer to solve this much more generally than just creating a -docs
> > package.  If we're going to split packages, we might as well be able to
> > split them any way we want.
>
> I'm with Jason on this one- I like the idea of not needing multiple
> PKGBUILDs for packages that clearly can be generated from one, but we
> should extend this beyond docs. Think about kernel modules- those are
> a clear case for this as well.
>
> Responding to Roman- not to say you are wrong, but bandwidth has never
> been a concern for me and I feel like a lot of other users are the
> same way. We should keep that in mind with decisions though, although
> Arch has never been marketed as a distribution meant for those with
> slow connections- the idea of constant upgrading stomps on that.
>
> Finally, about the patch itself- if this was done, it should be
> functionalized, as I can see you duplicated a lot of code when
> generating the .PKGINFO file. You should be able to use the same code
> for both PKGINFO generations. In addition, I really dislike all the
> extra stuff (crud?) that has worked its way into makepkg- installing
> and removing deps, installing the package, etc. It is ugly that you
> had to make an extra installdocspackage function. It is almost to the
> point where the core makepkg functionality should be broken out.

This patch wasn't really intended for an immediately inclusion, but to
open a discussion on the idea.
Thanks for your suggestions.

--
Alessio 'mOLOk' Bolognino
Arch Linux Trusted User

Public Key @ http://themolok.netsons.org/uploads/themolok.asc
Key ID = 1024D / FE0270FB 2007-04-11
Key Fingerprint = 9AF8 9011 F271 450D 59CF  2D7D 96C9 8F2A FE02 70FB