[pacman-dev] makepkg patch to create $pkgname-docs package for docs

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 06:02:10 EDT 2007

2007/4/28, Travis Willard <travis at archlinux.org>:
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 23:46:55 +0300
> "Roman Kyrylych" <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > OK, OK, let throw off bandwidth/size concerns.
> > But then I'd like to see an option to strip *.h and *.a (which are
> > pretty useless for users that never makepkg anything nor use aurbuild
> > etc.)
> >

> There's a problem with stripping stuff needed for build - that "problem"
> is the AUR.  Someone may never expect to need to compile, but then
> suddenly they realize this really neat or critical app is only
> available in the AUR - what happens when they set their option to strip
> away all these files?  How do they get them back?  This seems like it
> could be a big hassle.

The possibility that user that intentionally want to strip headers
will _maybe_ need them in some distant future is not excuse, really.
;-)

I think saying "hey, let's ship docs but have an option to strip them
after install" and "option to strip headers is not good" is twofold.
I don't understand such opinions, sorry... :-/

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)