[pacman-dev] makepkg patch to create $pkgname-docs package for docs

Travis Willard travis at archlinux.org
Sat Apr 28 09:08:29 EDT 2007

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 13:02:10 +0300
"Roman Kyrylych" <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:

> The possibility that user that intentionally want to strip headers
> will _maybe_ need them in some distant future is not excuse, really.
> ;-)

It may not be an 'excuse' but it's a valid point - how _would_ people
get these files back if they needed them?  It will happen, do not
doubt, and if the only solution is "edit your pacman.conf, remove the
option, force-reinstall the package, then edit your pacman.conf to
re-add the option" then I don't think that's a good enough solution.

> I think saying "hey, let's ship docs but have an option to strip them
> after install" and "option to strip headers is not good" is twofold.
> I don't understand such opinions, sorry... :-/

My opinion about both is the same actually - shipping and stripping
post-install is not a good idea.  I don't know why you think I'm
pro-stripping-docs - the email you responded to was my first message in
this discussion.

--
Travis