[pacman-dev] Deadline for translations?

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 10:26:20 EST 2007

On 2/12/07, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am Montag, 12. Februar 2007 16:06:17 schrieb Alessio 'mOLOk' Bolognino:
> > >
> > > How should I synchronize to the latest English translation?
> >
> > I think you are looking for msgmerge (in the gettext package), as easy
> > to use as:
> > $> msgmerge it.po pacman.pot > it.new.po
>
> I think I got it with "make update-po" (as described in "translation-help").
> The result wasn`t allways optimal but a good start.

This seems to be the best way I know of, because you need to update
the .pot file as well before you can do a merge. I will try to put
some updated pot files soon into CVS, but you can always take this
step on your own.

> Another question: What about all the blanks within the strings? Are they used
> for proper indention? For example "Version      :" What should we do if the
> translated text is longer than the English one (including spaces)?

Yes, they are usually for proper indentation and spacing. Sometimes
seeing them in the context of the code may be helpful, note that their
positions are listed in the po files. The spaces in the instance you
mentioned above are not crucial, the biggest idea is simply making
sure all of those labels are the same length.