[pacman-dev] 'replaces' confusion

Jason Chu jason at archlinux.org
Mon Feb 26 13:08:51 EST 2007

> Yeah, but that adds complexity in the fact that pacman must have code
> to read the old format, and the new... and how long do we maintain
> this format? It'd have to be there until all repos switch the format
> (and they'd have to be converted each -Sy operation until then) AND a
> new iso with pacman3 is created.

Let us go back to days of yor.  Once upon a time, pacman's db format
looked different than it does today.

[jchu at wingnut pacman-2.9.8-4]$
cat /var/lib/pacman/local/pacman-2.9.8-4/install

post_upgrade() {
  if [ ! -d var/lib/pacman/local ]; then
    echo "==> Converting database..." >&2
    mkdir -p var/lib/pacman/local && usr/bin/convertdb
var/lib/pacman/local echo "==> Done." >&2
  fi

Not trying to argue for changing the db format now, just mentioning
that it's been done before and the references still exist.

> The REAL question here is, should the pacman 3.0 release be delayed
> for something like this, or should we hold of until 3.1?

As nice as it sounds, I think top priority is getting 3.0 out.  I vote
to not delay it.

Jason