[pacman-dev] CVS update of pacman-lib/pactest (pmenv.py tests/upgrade056.py)

Nagy Gabor ngaba at petra.hos.u-szeged.hu
Tue Feb 27 17:56:35 EST 2007

Hi!

OK. Your example is correct.
However the correct managing of multiple provides is
difficult. And this will cause more slowdown of pacman (but see my
suggestion: collect all provider packages' symlink in local/.providers
for example). And what I say that now the
_correct_ multiple providing in pacman is missing.
Some things:
-if you remove a package and a dependency would broke, you must
check if there is another provider package of that dependency
installed (slow now), the same for update (but this is rare:
update056.py)
-when you want to -S a provided_package, undefined provider will
be installed (an ask from user would be nice)
-anyway, there is only one type of provide-dependencies (however, a
"virtual" version number may not be useless: webserver 2.0 for example)
-and what about the fact that if provide allowed, between 2 packages
more than one dependencies can happen (this is not programmed to
pacman neither; at least what in the parts what I saw)?
-again, my main problem is the efficiency: now there are direct
dependencies which can be checked very fast, and the provide-dependency
which if you want to check, you must read the whole database to find
providers.

Yes, I see, that provide is needed, because you have to be able to
define a "set of packages" somehow. What I say, that these sets of
packages should be store explicitly (not only implicitly). There is not
much difference between groups and providers from this point of view.

Nagy Gabor