[pacman-dev] CVS update of pacman-lib/pactest (pmenv.py tests/upgrade056.py)

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 16:27:23 EST 2007

On 2/27/07, Nagy Gabor <ngaba at petra.hos.u-szeged.hu> wrote:
> I think packages with the same provide should be mutual.

No, this is not correct.  Let's imagine the grand scheme here:
  apache provides=(webserver)
  lighttpd provides=(webserver)
  thttpd provides=(webserver)

  phpmyadmin depends=(webserver)

No one would argue that the above is totally logical.  However, you
are suggesting that apache and lighttpd cannot be installed on that
same machine (because of the 'provides' entry).  That's not a good
idea.

> Pacman doesn't deal with multiple provides at all.

Sure it does.  I've changed quite a few functions to deal with
multiple provides, such as the -Rc functionality.
Why do you think alpm_db_whatprovides() returns a list instead of a
single package?