[pacman-dev] 'replaces' confusion

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 10:46:43 EST 2007

On 2/26/07, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/26/07, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I vote for depends as well. Aren't conflicts and provides already
> > there too? It seems to fit perfectly with those. I also say we should
> > try to put it consistently in depends, including in the repos. We may
> > need to have a rather extended transition period where it is in both,
> > however, as we should try to be backwards compatible with what pacman2
> > expects for a while.
>
> Well, the argument for using /desc is that it's already read in the
> case of a sysupgrade, making it quicker to load using the files
> backend.
>
> Currently, repo-add writes to the /depends file, it seems.  This
> should be a fairly quick change to fix this up.  For 'replaces' info,
> we will just have to read BOTH desc and depends files for now.  I
> could always issue a warning when replaces info is found in the /desc
> file, saying it's an old repo and should be updated before this is
> unsupported... just a suggestion.

Just actually looked at the code (a novel idea)- repo-add writes
replaces info to ./desc, which is the same behavior as pacman 2. Why
don't we assume this behavior for now (no point in changing it if it
may just get changed again), and go from there. If we want to do a DB
format change, that is a whole different issue.