[pacman-dev] Install files and messages

Simo Leone simo at archlinux.org
Sat Jan 6 14:32:38 EST 2007

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 01:21:16PM -0500, Dan McGee wrote:
> Here are my thoughts on the situation. As every package builder seems
> to have their own presentation format for displaying messages (e.g.
> echo ">>>...", echo "  **...**"), it would be nice to have a way to
> unify it. Most (all?) messages are in one of two places- post_install
> or post_upgrade. I propose these messages should be moved out of these
> scriptlets, and moved into a variable, likely still located in the
> install file as this is packaged up with the package (unlike the
> PKGBUILD). These variables could be called install_msg and
> upgrade_msg, respectively. The scriptlets would still remain, but any
> output would be 'nonessential'.

By nonessential, I hope you don't mean thrown out altogether. Some
install script output is conditional, because it isn't relevant to
everyone that installs the package. I don't see why we should complicate
things by adding yet another variable to do what some echo lines used to
do either.
That said, perhaps some sort of function to standardize the output could
be used... I'm thining something along the lines of printhl() from
/etc/rc.d/functions .