[pacman-dev] makepkg -w argument removed?

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 17:31:52 EST 2007

On 1/21/07, Scott Horowitz <stonecrest at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm just curious why the -w argument was removed from makepkg? It
> apparently was removed in rev 1.23:
>
> I know that aurbuild is currently making use of it, for example.

Here is the most applicable list posting I can find about it:
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2006-December/000842.html

I think we had been discussing how many options makepkg had grown to,
and wanted to cut some of them out. We removed the package specific
options that can be set in a PKGBUILD. We also decided to remove the
two storage directory parameters because they didn't seem necessary.
Can the aurbuild script not simply perform a makepkg followed by a cp
or mv operation? The biggest problem to this is that a user can set a
custom location to build their packages to, in which case the aurbuild
script will probably fail. However, scripts can source makepkg.conf
and find out where packages are destined for.

Both makepkg 2.9.8 and makepkg 3 have 21 command line options, so
adding more just makes the script that much more complex.

Feel free to bring up some counterpoints, these are just my thoughts
on the issue.