[pacman-dev] makepkg -w argument removed?

Jason Chu jason at archlinux.org
Mon Jan 22 10:43:57 EST 2007

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 17:31:52 -0500
"Dan McGee" <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/21/07, Scott Horowitz <stonecrest at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm just curious why the -w argument was removed from makepkg? It
> > apparently was removed in rev 1.23:
> >
> > I know that aurbuild is currently making use of it, for example.
>
> Here is the most applicable list posting I can find about it:
> http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2006-December/000842.html
>
> I think we had been discussing how many options makepkg had grown to,
> and wanted to cut some of them out. We removed the package specific
> options that can be set in a PKGBUILD. We also decided to remove the
> two storage directory parameters because they didn't seem necessary.
> Can the aurbuild script not simply perform a makepkg followed by a cp
> or mv operation? The biggest problem to this is that a user can set a
> custom location to build their packages to, in which case the aurbuild
> script will probably fail. However, scripts can source makepkg.conf
> and find out where packages are destined for.
>
> Both makepkg 2.9.8 and makepkg 3 have 21 command line options, so
> adding more just makes the script that much more complex.
>
> Feel free to bring up some counterpoints, these are just my thoughts
> on the issue.
>
> -Dan

I always thought if there's an option that can be set in makepkg.conf,
there should be a corresponding command line option to a) disable a set
makepkg.conf option one time or b) set it to something it's not usually
set to one time.

If there were no makepkg.conf option, then I wouldn't see a problem,
but because you can do it in the global case, you should be able to
modify it in the single case.

Jason